Christmas Memories and TRADITIONS
Stand firm and hold to your traditions that you were taught by us, either by spoken word or by our letter. – 2 Thessalonians 2:15
Italian – Christmas Eve feast of the seven fishes (but you can use any number!)
Breadcrumb Topped Cod
- 1 Cod filet per person
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs per filet
- ¾ teaspoon herbs of your choice per filet (thyme or tarragon work well)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450° Fahrenheit. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place cod on baking sheet.
- Season cod with salt and pepper.
- Combine bread crumbs, herbs, and oil in a bowl. Use enough oil to fully moisten the bread crumbs.
- Spread the bread crumb mixture evenly over cod filets. Press down gently.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until internal temp reaches 130° Fahrenheit (check with thermometer inserted halfway into thickest part of cod). Remove from oven and let it rest 2 minutes.
Uncle Larry’s Christmas Eve Shrimp
- 2lbs cooked shrimp
- 1 cup white vinegar
- I cup olive oil
- 1 T mustard
- ½ cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 T paprika
- Mix all ingredients and marinate shrimp at least 8 hours. Drain and serve on Bibb lettuce.
Scotland …Shortbread cookies (use the best butter to make them yummier)
- 10 T good butter (room temp)
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- ½ tsp of salt
- Beat softened butter and vanilla until creamed.
- Add confectioners sugar and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Scrape bowl down and add flour while beating on low.
- Scrape bowl once more until combined.
- Shape dough into a rectangular prism, wrap in clear wrap and chill until firm for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut into ½ inch slices.
- Place slices an inch apart on baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a fork to make a pattern on top.
- Bake 10 minutes rotating baking sheet halfway through baking.
- Transfer to work rack to school.
Ireland… Mincemeat pie (my Irish Papa would always slip in Irish Whiskey)
Easy Irish Christmas Mincemeat Pie
- Refrigerator pie crusts
- 29 oz mincemeat pie fillings
- A “wee” bit of Irish Whiskey (optional)
- Heat oven to 425° Fahrenheit
- Place one pie dough in pie pan and add mincemeat filling
- Sprinkly whiskey on top
- Place second crust on top of filling, crimp edges, and cut slits in crust to vent
- Bake 30 minutes until golden brown, and cool completely on wire rack
And in honor of our Jewish friends on Hanukkah… Latkes
- 2 cups coarsely grated, peeled potatoes
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
- Peanut oil for frying
- ½ pint sour cream
- 1 cup applesauce
Squeeze as much water as possible out of the potatoes. In a bowl, mix with the remaining ingredients. Place a bit of the mixture spread out to 4 inches in a frying pan containing a little peanut oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve the pancakes with a bit of sour cream and applesauce on top of each.